Sunday, June 21, 2020

FATHER'S DAY

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!! 
I'm posting this after our men's meeting simply because I want to spill my heart out about some of the greatest men I've ever known.  And, I've known a few over my 65 years.  
Today it is not popular to be a father.  I don't think it has been for quite a few years now.  Even in our churches, fathers don't get much of a break.  On Mother's Day we get blasted for not being, for the lack of a better word, mothers. I guarantee you that on Mother's Day in almost every church in the USA, you will have a preacher make a dig about Fathers.  It might be a subtle hint to do something special, as if we don't do something special all the time.  Or it will be intimations of selfishness, laziness, or some other 'ness' that leaps into their minds as they try to make the mothers in their congregation feel that the Pastor knows how 'put upon' they are.  I've never understood the need to make someone feel special by making someone else feel less special.  Moms are special!!  
It's the day before Father's day as I'm writing this, and tomorrow morning just before Men's group, I'll press the publish button, and release it.  I guarantee you that all across America, in almost every church, Men will be on the menu.  Instead of extolling the virtues of fatherhood, preachers will try to show the women of the fellowship just how special they are by beating up on the men one more time.  It will be a litany of failures, upheld by scriptural examples of failed fathers, with an encouragement to be better than the chosen example.  In my many years in Church, I've even heard Jonah used as an example of the wayward father.  How that young preacher nabbed on to Jonah I'll never know.  The points were good, the idea was strong, but nowhere did I hear the glowing praise heaped upon fathers that was heaped upon mothers. 
I want to break that mold.  
I fellowship with some of the most awesome men you'll ever know.  I've known most of them for over 20 years, and some of them for over 25 years.  I've seen every man in our Men's group in situations away from the church, in their homes, interacting with their children, loving their wives.  I've watched some of our men grow up from young boys into the loving fathers they are now.  I've seen some of them work two jobs just to make ends meet.  I've seen others work many years for another man, only to have the business turned over to them, and they themselves make a way for young men to be employed in the business.  We have a Junior High School Principal, two teachers, and an education counselor.  Out of our group of sixteen men, eight have college degrees, and two are working on their degrees.  All but five of our group are fathers.  
When called upon, all of these men will be there when you need them, and most of them will be there before you call.  I know they love their wives, because we've had intimate discussions about how wonderful our wives are.  I know they love their children, because I see how their children behave.  Believe me, you know when a child is loved.  
Later, when some of the fathers of young children are facing the challenges of being a father to a teenager, we'll be there for them.  Right now, I want you to know that I love all of you.  I've never been more proud to be a member of a fellowship than I am of being in this group of men.  You spur me on to good works, you challenge me to think beyond just myself.  Your homes are beautiful, your children wonderful, and your worship is contagious.  You are selfless as evidenced by the ministries our fellowship supports.  You do things nobody sees, and don't ask for recognition.  
I sing your praises if no one else will.  
Being a father is not the antithesis to being a mother, it is the completion of parenthood.  
You destroy the stereotypes!!!!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment

JAMES, GALATIA, AND FAITH

Most modern scholars seem to agree that the book of James was written to Messianic Jews living in what is known as Galatia.  Of course, we w...