Monday, May 25, 2020

MEMORIAL DAY

I just came back from my annual visit to the Boone County War Memorial at the town square.  Every year, for the last five years, I've made it a point to pray at the memorial. I go down on one knee, and touch a name, saying it softly, asking God to comfort the family that name belonged to.  Then I utter this one simple phrase; "God, help me to live in such a way as to honor their sacrifice."  I started doing this after watching 'Saving Private Ryan.'  
You see, I served in the Air Force from 1980 till 1995, and I feel as if I paid my civic duty to this great nation.  This day isn't about those who served, or those who are serving now. This day is to remember those who didn't come back. Yes, I know the cost in time, and family can't be explained to those who've never served. As much as I enjoyed my time of service, I can't come near the sacrifice of those who died in defense of this nation.  For that reason alone, I kneel at the memorial to honor those brave souls by remembering that they lay in a grave somewhere having their life cut short so that I might continue living.  
Teaching civics to your children isn't the job of the school.  I guarantee you, there are very few schools who teach military service as a civic duty any more.  Even more amazing is the knowledge that we haven't had a draft since the Vietnam War.  Those who's lives are engraved upon the  War on Terror memorial were volunteers.  They willingly chose to defend this nation.  
Memorial Day has become a travesty, it's hallowed meaning overcome by camping trips, BBQ's, lake outings, and backyard gatherings. So many of our children grow up never knowing even one name from their city, or county who never came home from the battlefield they were sent off to.  Many children don't even know of one relative who gave their life in one of our many conflicts.  Now, we sell wreaths, and grave decorations so that we can adorn the graves of any relative, while the purpose of this National Day of Remembrance disappears in our mindless pursuit of pleasures.  To many in this generation, it will be nothing more than the kick-off of summer.  Labor Day gets more honor than Memorial Day.   
I've spoke about this once before, and I feel as if I need to do it again before this day passes.  It isn't hard to bring your child to a knowledge of what this day is, if you take just fifteen minutes, and go to our city square.  Take a crayon, or a pencil and a piece of paper.  Ask your child to pick a name on the memorial and show them how to do an etching.  Then go to your knees and ask them to speak peace upon the family that name represents.  There is a wing of the memorial that is for our brave heroes who died in the war on terror.  Most of these names belong to young men who were barely out of high school when they made their sacrifice.  For some of those families, the sacrifice was too great, with the collateral damage being financial ruin, alcoholism, and in some instances suicide.  Who knows, maybe a little child's innocent prayer will send angels of peace to speak comfort to those still grieving. No matter what, I guarantee you, for those families of those on the memorial, this day isn't just a holiday.  
Is 15 minutes a price too high for you to pay? 
Before you walk away, look at the little cross at the top of the Memorial.  Did you know that Boone County had someone awarded the Medal of Honor?  Do you know the story behind that name?   Some of you have grown up in this city and may not even know about him.    
I'm going to sit down in a little while and play 'Saving Private Ryan'.  I'll do that so that I can see the last scene, and remind myself of the cost of liberty.  I'll do it because I have friends who died in the terror bombing at Al Khobar June 25th, 1996.  Just three years before that, I was in that very building, so I carry with me the knowledge that 20 young warriors died that night, and it could have been me.  
Our mighty nation is defended by less than 2% of it's population, is it too much to ask you to stop for 15 minutes, and tell your children what this day is all about?  

2 comments:

JAMES, GALATIA, AND FAITH

Most modern scholars seem to agree that the book of James was written to Messianic Jews living in what is known as Galatia.  Of course, we w...