Wednesday, January 15, 2014

FOUNDATIONS OF LOVE, LIVES OF PRAISE

Moving through this last lesson in the “Knowing” portion of our study into the Kingdom of Heaven has taken longer than I thought it would.  We spent over fourteen weeks just on the beatitudes.  I thought we would mortally fly through this lesson, but we seem to enjoy diving to a depth I didn’t even think possible.  I’m posting the following ‘portion’ of the last lesson so our brothers in other parts of the country can know where we are in the study of the Kingdom.  On a more personal note: One of the amazing things to me, is that I began writing this study on the Kingdom of Heaven with this lesson at the beginning of the study.  While trying to lay a foundation for this lesson I kept pushing it further back in the study.  From the beginning, I’ve had an overarching theme of expecting the miraculous expressed through healing, deliverance, and salvations. Fueling that expectation was the knowledge that it is LOVE that makes the miraculous happen. I know the Holy Spirit is the one who performs miracles, but LOVE is the driving force behind everything we desire to see.  Then, six months ago, my Pastor gave me a book by Bob Goff called “Love Does.”  It inspired me to believe more than ever before, that it is love that fuels our desire to do great things for God.  Two weeks ago I was given another book called “Compelled by Love”, by Heidi Baker.  I’m still reading “Compelled by Love,” but I can tell you it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  It made me wonder if I missed the Holy Spirit by pushing this portion of the study to the end. 
SO, with all of that said, I’m highly recommending those two books for our men to read as a supplement to our study.  I’ve also included the portion of our lesson sheet that we’ve finished up to this point.  If you pray for anything at all for me personally, pray that our local phone company will make DSL available to us soon.  THIS OFFICE IS COLD!!!!!!!
FOUNDATIONS OF LOVE, LIVES OF PRAISE
As we move closer to the end of THE KNOWING, it is important to understand the height, the depth, and breadth of the Love of God toward us. If we don't have a genuine appreciation for the Love of God, we can't advance the Kingdom, nor can we exercise the gifts he's given us with any degree of accuracy. Everything Jesus did upon this earth was an expression of the Love of God. His first recorded 'sermon' was a treatise upon what love should look like. As he ends his sermon he makes it clear what the Kingdom will look like, by the foundation he has drawn up. It is up to us, His Church, to DO what he said, so that we may be built upon the love of God. As our lives are built upon love, we will live lives of praise that bring glory to His name. While some of you may not like what is to follow, these are not my words, but those of Christ. We’ve already discussed what kind of people are 'blessed' (happy.) He gives us their quality, and what the reward is for demonstrating that quality
If we turn to Matthew 5:13-16 we’ll learn what we should resemble
  • We are salt
    • we give flavor to the world, making it palatable
  • We are light
    • we reveal the condition of the world around us by our actions
  • Our Good Deeds will give Praise to God

Love is more than what we do: (Matthew 5:17- 20) If you want to mess yourself up turn to 1 Corinthians 13 and read along. Love is a tougher LAW to keep than the ceremonial laws, because it fulfills all the Commandments.
  • Love is not angry (Matthew 5:21-26)
    • Love does not allow anger to fester (envy, strife, and covetousness lead to murder)
    • Does not insult or injure (calling someone an idiot)
    • Does not demand its own way (cursing someone)
    • If you've been angry and offended someone, ask forgiveness. (BE HUMBLE)
    • Settle your differences with one another quickly (forgiveness is the currency of the Kingdom)
  • Love is faithful, chaste, and pure (Matthew 5:27-32)
    • Fidelity in marriage is tantamount to fidelity with God
    • Loyalty is unconditional love
    • To be unfaithful for any other reason than unfaithfulness is to become doubly unfaithful
  • Love is sincere and lives a life of integrity (Matthew 5:33-37)
    • Love doesn't lie
    • Love doesn't need to be bound by empty promises
    • Love is always there



As a final note:  There are so many wonderful things said by the men who come here every Sunday morning.  My memory isn’t the best, and a moderator/ teacher, I don’t take the best of notes.  I should.  Just know without a doubt, that God does have a remnant of men who are sincere in their love for Him.  We are learning how to be an army of ‘lay down lovers.’   Thanks Rick Pino.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

JAMES, GALATIA, AND FAITH

Most modern scholars seem to agree that the book of James was written to Messianic Jews living in what is known as Galatia.  Of course, we w...