Monday, November 26, 2012

Words of Life

It is my sincere desire that every man in our fellowship enjoyed their Thanksgiving celebration.  I know I did. In our men's group, we continued our study into Chapter Twelve of "Bond of Brothers" by Wes Yoder.  I asked the men to read the chapter, find a passage that moves them and then explain why it moved them.  I also expect them to explain what it moved them to do.  Yesterday, we made it through two passages.  Why only two?   Because one of the men highlighted one of the most powerful passages in the chapter.  The inescapable ability of a man to be a life giver, life taker, and life receiver all in the space of one day.
The study came to life as the men opened up their hearts to what is obviously a common problem among most men.  I've never understood why we can move so easily from being able to bring life, take life, and then receive life until yesterday.
It is the power of the tongue, the deception of pride, and the gift of mercy that live simultaneously within us.  It is because we are a new creation that is both Christ, and Man, or as Wes Yoder calls us, the Christ-Man.  We are at war with ourselves, and depending upon where we are in our maturity, the tide of the battle can swing in an instant. I know in my own life, that life taking words usually hang on the power of one word drawn up from the wellspring of pride.  In an instant, I can cut someone with a caustic or casual remark.  I've also found that the words of life are slower to come to my tongue, and require greater thought.  If they are born of the Holy Spirit, it is an even longer process, as I try to discern if I'll receive any praise or recognition for what I said.  True life giving words, are born of compassion, real love, and a desire to speak life into someone.  Words that take life are usually spoken to defend myself, or to bring someone down to size.  As if that is my job.
Throughout the study, we began to hit upon an even more novel idea.  The problem with being a life taker, is that the words we need to mend the situation, and restore relationship, are hollow at best.  Saying you are "sorry" doesn't make amends.  We have to bring something to the table.  We have to come with our hat in hand, and wearing sackcloth.  In other words, true regret for our words, or actions, must be held out in humility.  As we grow in Christ, we find the 'life taker' part of our Christ-Man is less apt to reveal himself.  The more we live in God's wisdom, the better we become at keeping our trap shut, and our hearts guarded with the love of Christ.  If we live as watchmen, guarding the walls of our heart with the compassion of the Holy Spirit, we will find our opportunities to be 'life-givers' will far exceed our moments of murderous pride. It is in those moments, we can receive life with a joyous heart.
Coming to Christ is easy, being a Christ-Man is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JAMES, GALATIA, AND FAITH

Most modern scholars seem to agree that the book of James was written to Messianic Jews living in what is known as Galatia.  Of course, we w...