Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Community of Life

Last week, I asked the men to read Chapter 11 once more and highlight their favorite passage.  I also asked them to be prepared to share that passage as well as explain why it meant so much to them.  I enjoy doing this, because it allows me to see the heart, and soul of the men in a way that very rarely gets seen in our hectic life.

I would love to tell you who made the comments, but we made a promise to one another that what was said would be kept in the men's group.

One of the first comments was sparked by a paragraph in Pg 170  about our lives being so hectic, that we rarely have time for community.  Isn't it community we actually want?  We create these virtual communities called Facebook, Twitter,  etc. etc. etc. . . .ad-inifitum, to replace the true sense of community that is shared around a table with brothers and sisters in the Lord.  His profound plea; we need to seize every opportunity to fellowship with one another.

From that one remark, the morning moved in a delightful affirmation of the joy of finding the LOVE of Christ in one another.  The restoration and rebirth we have in Christ brings us into a community of life, and love.  Our greatest joy is found in making decisions that are based upon what Christ wants us to do.  This gift has nothing to do with our righteousness, but the tender mercies of the Creator who loves the dead, and dying.  It goes to our identity with one another.  Is the creator our identity our are we doing this on our own power? Are we willing to give up everything to allow Him to fulfill his purposes in our life?   Is there a distinct difference between us, and those who don't know Christ?  What fills up our days?  If we are more concerned with our own personal needs, we won't know the peace that is born of a life of true community.  What makes Christianity attractive? What is the benefit of a life surrendered to Christ in the context of living an uninhibited life?  Christians aren't immune from sorrow, despair, tragedies of every ilk, so what is the big difference?
I ask you, and myself these questions paraphrased from the comments each man offered this morning.  They weren't questions when they were offered up.  Yet, as each man spoke his heart, I found myself asking myself the question that these comments engendered.  I am only now, after 47 years of calling myself a Christian, beginning to lay hold of some of the answers.  Everything I thought were answers so many years ago, have been stripped away.
Wes Yoder, makes the comment that we need to bury the crud in our life in the coffin we've built for ourselves.  Actually, I'd need a dumpster to handle all of my mess.
I'm so thankful for the men in our fellowship, and their willingness to share their hearts.   We still have three more people to share their favorite passage, but we'll do it next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JAMES, GALATIA, AND FAITH

Most modern scholars seem to agree that the book of James was written to Messianic Jews living in what is known as Galatia.  Of course, we w...